Sunday 20 March 2011

My Love Is But A Lassie Yet (Deconstructed)

I had the great pleasure of being invited to Lancaster yesterday to work with improvising vocalists Steve Lewis and Mary Oliver for an afternoon of experimenting, play and discussion about the nature of improvising.

It was great fun to work with such amazing vocal improvisers, myself adding a layer of live processing and looping, only working with voice. There was a real purity to what we did which led me to using a lot less obvious processing that I would normally use, to let the quality of the voices really come through.

As part of the day I asked them if we could play around with an old Cumberland Ballad My Love Is But A Lassie Yet which we improvised a deconstructed version of. The original text is available on Google books here.



It really was an exciting day and we are hoping to play some gigs together in the near future as a trio. Keep a look out for us, I think it is going to be something very special.

Websites:
Mary Oliver
Deep Cabaret (Steve Lewis)
Deep Clutter (Steve Lewis & Shaun Blezard)

No comments:

Post a Comment